Thu, 14 January 2010
MHF Show Notes - Episode 4
Alternate Titles: "An Hour of Outtakes" or "Moose Drool and Sheep Dip at Oshkosh"
*We need a disclaimer... we're working on it.
(We still need to record a disclaimer. In a nutshell: We're not responsible for YOU!)
Zyola Mix (@Supovadea and the meaning of it!), Mike Daniels (@Mike_Flys), Doug Hindman (@dhindmanjr), and Nate Duehr (@DenverPilot)
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org anytime!
Aviation News we've heard about
Wings over the Rockies Wing Over the Rockies Museum - Summer Camp for Kids (June 22nd, July 13th & 20th)
Steve Tupper's article about reaching outside the airport fence at the AOPA Let's Go Flying Blog
Discussion about airport viewing areas, including a desire to have one at KAPA, the one at KVNY in the movie 16 Right, and HNL.
Driving to airports just to watch airplanes anywhere you go when you travel.
Mike drove over to Oshkosh on a business trip just to have some KOSH flight time. (Can't blame him!)
Oshkosh 2010 Talk - Planning in January
- Nate and one of the other 79M people is thinking about arriving via air.
- Doug's planning to drive the mighty Ford F-150
- Leinies isn't "real beer". Neither is Coors.
- MHF is bringing "Moose Drool" to OSH and "Sheep Dip" to OSH10!
LSA Spin Article - Preliminary NTSB Report
- Discussion of whether or not we're going to see more of this in LSA's, and how LSA's are spin tested.
- Talk of how Spin training/Spin Awareness training has changed over the years.
- Nate asks if it seems like CFIs don't always seem to have as much Spin experience today as in years past?
- Everyone agrees we all have/want Spin Training in OUR personal training, whether its required or not.
Wired article on Florida fly-in community - Spruce Creek Airpark - "The Rarified Air of Spruce Creek"
- Cool to see a pro-airport article in a non-aviation magazine! Yay!
Mention of Everitt Airpark here in Denver (oops, goofed the name - it's actually Rocky Mountain Airpark)
- Nice to see a "new" airport pop up, and not going away!
- Maybe we can get Pete Vinton on the show sometime.
- Pete's Blog: http://www.rockymountainairpark.blogspot.com/
Full disclosure: Nate knows some people who have helped with the Marketing/Website/Photos...
(There's even a photo of the mighty C-182, N1279M in their brochure at http://www.rockymountainairpark.net/4web-front.pdf)
Mike the Mustang Cartoon from AirShow Buzz
- Wondering if there's going to be more episodes, how they'll be released, etc.
- Doug asks Zyola if her daughter has seen it.
EAA Sport Pilot magazine... New format, Cost to coast article for Sky Catcher
- Nate gets his standard verbal whipping by the crew for not being an EAA Member (yet!)
Mike & Nate discuss ForeFlight vs Other Stuff on the iPhone
ForeFlight iPhone Apps, etc. - http://www.foreflight.com/
ChartCase Pro - http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.php?page=HomeEFBSW
AccuWeather iPhone App - http://www.accuweather.com/iphone.asp
FlightAware - http://flightaware.com/news/article/FlightAware-releases-first-free-flight-tracking-iPhone-App/113
LogTen Pro & Mobile - http://coradine.com/logten-mobile/
Etc.. etc... etc...
(Not mentioned on the podcast, but someone mentioned http://www.aviatorapps.com/ on Twitter recently as a place to find Aviation Apps for iPhone. Cool site.)
Shoutouts & Thank You's - Special Podcast Segment this week!
Special Shoutout Section today - All the Aviation Podcasts we listen to and why:
(Okay so these were supposed to be in alphabetical order, but we got them OUT of order in the podcast... so... well, here they are in WHATEVER order!)
Aero News Network - http://www.aero-news.net/
Airspeed - http://www.airspeedonline.com/
AvWeb - http://www.avweb.com
Airplane Geeks Podcast - http://www.airplanegeeks.com/
AOPA Never Again - http://www.aopa.org/pilot/never_again/
Desert Pilot Podcast - http://desertpilot.blogspot.com/
We stopped here for a moment to shout-out to Rick Felty, @rfelty on Twitter, and http://www.youtube.com/user/rdfelty
(Great videos on YouTube and help and discussion about more than just video! Thanks Rick!)
The Finer Points - http://thefinerpoints.net/
The Pilot's Flight PodLog - http://pilotwill.libsyn.com/
Stopped again for another shout-out to the FlyAbout movie! Way cool! http://www.flyaboutmovie.com/
- Monika Petrillo http://www.flyaboutmovie.com/, On Twitter @flyabout
The PilotCast - http://pilotcast.libsyn.com/
The Pilot's Journey PodCast - http://www.pilotsjourneypodcast.com/
(We're all behind on this one, and dang it... I forgot to mention there was a new episode on Aircraft Ownership! I wanted to do that! I'm listening to it as I post this! Great job! --Nate)
Plane Crazy Down Under - http://www.planecrazydownunder.com/
The New Pilot Podblog - http://thenewpilotpodblog.blogspot.com/ - NEW PODCAST! WHOO! Go Robert! We're all signing up!
Uncontrolled Airspace - http://www.uncontrolledairspace.com/ GRANDDADDY OF THEM ALL!
- Mike says, "If you're not listening to UCAP, you're probably not listening to ANY podcasts!"
Disturbance in the force or a Disturbance CAUSED by a Force: "Unusual Attitudes"
- ANOTHER NEW PODCAST WHOO!
- Warning: EXPLICIT (Adult content) tag on iTunes! But of course, that's why we like it!
- Nate found the official UA Study Guide:
- "A bunch of fly-boys sittin' around, drinkin' and swearin' and pretty hilarious actually!" - Zyola's Critique
And we finished up with almost forgetting that... MIKE IS GOING FOR HIS PRIVATE PILOT CHECKRIDE SOMETIME SOON! STAY TUNED!
(As of 1/12/2010 Mike's checkride was delayed. He needs another 1.2 hours of X-C time and is working on that right now. He's already hiding out somewhere in a hotel near http://shebleaviation.com/ with bad Internet bandwidth, and he's wearing his MyTransponder T-Shirt for good luck!)
Oh yeah, we also did a quick shout-out to MyTransponder! Go check it out! It's not a podcast, but it's REALLY cool! - http://www.mytransponder.com
And one more... We missed this one completely on theshow due to Nate blowing away our show notes, but ... if you like aviation news with a little "attitude", the folks over at http://blindvector.com/blog/ have that covered! Plus I promised Roy on Twitter that we'd give him a plug!)
From all of us here at MHF...
Zyola Mix (@Supovadea on Twitter)
Mike Daniels (@Mike_Flys)
Doug Hindman (@dhindmanjr)
Nate Duehr (@DenverPilot)
"We're out!" See ya next episode!
[Some other notes: A few folks have asked how they sign up for our website. The "Login" button is really something we need for us to all edit the website, to post comments or anything on the blog, photos, etc... just post - it'll let you do it. We're in "moderated" mode, so we'll get around to approving the post in a day or so, no problems. We reserve the right to ignore spam posts, etc... but we're not about Censorship here on the website. Tell it like it is! Thanks everyone!]